There are endless variations of Prawn Sambal recipes prepared by Malaysians. Its a dish which always remains Malaysians favorite and never been tired of cooking over and over again. Juicy, fresh and sweet prawns always gives the dish its unique flavor. I have few recipes of sambal udang which i preferred according to my mood. Ha ha ha... Crazy! This is one of the recipe which best served with Steamed Coconut Rice and Fried Egg Omelette's.
Ingredients A : Sambal Paste
- 15 Dry chilies soaked in hot water for 15 minutes
- 5 cloves Garlic
- 1 inch Ginger
- 5 Shallots
- 1 tsp Sugar
- 1 tsp Salt
- 1 tbsp Oil
Ingredients B :
- 3 Shallots
- 3 cloves Garlic
- 2 tbsp Dried shrimp
- small piece of Ginger
Ingredients C :
- 500g Prawns removed head
- 1 Red Onion sliced
- 1 Tomato chopped
- 2 Screwpine leaves
- 1/4 cup Tamarind Juice
- 1 tbsp Gula Melaka (palm sugar)
- 1 tsp Salt
Preparation Method :
- Blend Ingredients A in a food processor until smooth paste. Keep aside.
- Pestle Ingredients B in a mortar to a coarse paste.
- Heat oil in a wok. Add sliced onions and saute till transparent. Add screwpine leaves together. Fried until aromatic.
- Add Ingredients B. Fry for 2 minutes.
- Add chopped tomatoes. Let it cooked for another 2 minutes. Tomatoes will turn soft and pulpy.
- Now add 5 tbsp of blended Ingredients A.
- Let the chili paste cooked until oil floats on top. Need to stir occasionally.
- Add tamarind juice, salt and palm sugar. Let it simmer in low fire for 2 minutes. Add salt if necessary.
- Now add the cleaned prawns. Let the prawns cooked in the gravy for 4 minutes at least.
- Once the prawns cooked and gravy thickens, turn off fire.
- Dish out and serve.
Its finger lickin good. Hmmmm............