When I first tried this recipe in a famous restaurant in Brickfields, I like the taste very much. The waiter told me that Karaikudi Chicken Varuval tastes spicy and hot when compared with other chicken varuvals. Since then I looked for the recipe. I tried few recipes, and at last I got this. Its a fantastic dish for your dinner.
Chicken- 1/2 kg
Turmeric powder- 1/2 tsp
Chill powder- 1 1/2 tsp
Coriander powder- 1/2 tsp
Mustard seeds -1/2 tsp
Cumin – 1/2 tsp
Fennel seeds- 1/2 tsp
Oil - 2 tbsp
Salt- To taste
Roast and grind:
Red Chillies- 5
Coriander seeds-2 spoon
Ginger- 1 inch
Cinnamon- 2 inch
Black Pepper- 1 tsp
Grated coconut- 2 tsp
Curry leaves- 2 sprig
- Roast the red chillies, coriander seeds, ginger, garlic, cinnamon, cardamom, pepper, cloves, curry leaves and grated coconut in a pan with a little oil. Add water and grind to a fine paste.
- Clean the chicken and add turmeric powder, chili powder and salt. Keep aside for thirty minutes.
- Heat oil in a pan. Add mustard seeds to splutter. Add cumin seeds and fennel seeds. Let it fry for few seconds.
- Add Onion. Fry till it becomes golden brown in color.
- Add tomatoes and fry till it becomes soft and pulpy.
- Add coriander powder and fry for 5 minutes.
- Add the finely ground paste and fry for 3 minutes.
- Then add the marinated chicken and some water.
- Cover the pan with a lid and cook for about 20 minutes or till the chicken pieces are cooked.
- Stir occasionally.
- Garnish with curry leaves.