Full width home advertisement

Kids Menu

Post Page Advertisement [Top]

IndianVegetarian Dishes

Chickpeas Sundal - Navarathri Festival


Today is first day of Navarathri festival. As we know Navarathri festival celebrated for Goddess Durgha for the first three days, followed by Goddess Laksmi and the last three days for Goddess Saraswathy. On the tenth day will be VijayaDhasami. These 9 days of navarathri always close to my heart. As usual I have prepared Golu for third year with my existing God idols and other toys. Besides this year my son had grown enough to give hand preparing Golu at home. He was given opportunity to arrange his own toys on the last steps. Hopefully he will be patient enough to let the toys remains in the Golu for 9 days!
When It comes Navarathri, the whole family will be vegetarians for the 10 days. Those days since childhood I remember everyday my mom will prepare some neivedhyam and bring to temple. Our Navarathri celebration will be in temple. A small pooja wiill be held at home before leave to temple. I wonder why my mum never arrange Golu at home. Desire of having my own Golu fulfilled after my marriage. Started with little knowledge with the help of Google as my best buddy. Now it has been third year of celebrating Navarathri with whatever idols at home. Yet I'm still learning the right rituals pooja and everything.
Neyvedyam as offerings for the deity is a compulsory in everyday prayers. Therefore I shall pre-plan the list beforehand. Just to ease my job.
Today I started with Chickpeas sundal and Sakkarai Ponggal. Since I have posted Sakkarai Ponggal before so I have updated Chickpeas Kara Sundal. My mom always say, should have sweet and spicy in the items we offer for Devi Durgha. The chickpeas I used here bought in can. Inadequate time to soak and cook. Quite rushing for pooja, therefore no time to take proper snap.

Ingredients:
1 cup Chikpeas (canned)
1 cup Grated Coconut
1 tsp Mustard seeds
1 tsp cumin seeds
1 onion chopped
1 tsp asafoetida powder
3 dry chillies
1 sprig curry leaves
1 tsp palm sugar
1 tsp of turmeric powder
1 tsp salt.

Preparation Method:
Drain chickpeas from the can and washed thoroughly in running water. Keep aside.
Heat one teaspoon oil in a pan. Splutter mustard seeds, followed by cumin seeds.
When mustard seeds spluttered, add dry chili which cut into halves, then curry leaves.
Add chopped onions and saute till becomes pink brownish. Add asafoetida powder as well. I have tasted, chickpeas sundal with grated ginger. If you do like in that way, may add into at this stage.
Now add the drained chickpeas and stir to well combined. Cook for few minutes, then add grated coconut together with turmeric powder. Stir continuously for 2 minutes. Finally add salt and palm sugar to taste.
Now the sundal is ready!




Print Friendly and PDF

No comments:

Post a Comment

Bottom Ad [Post Page]

| Designed by Colorlib