This recipe can be serve as an appetizer before main course. As an Indian our tastebuds always look for spicy food. All our cooking must have spices. So do I. This is very simple recipe. 30 minutes just more than enough to prepare a platter of Spicy Coconut Prawns. I have tried this with oats as coating as well. Felt coconut is better than oats. With further improvements finally I came out with this recipe.
I went to supermarket
- 1 cup of dry coconut blended to fine texture.
- 1 white part of an egg
- Oil for frying
- 1 tbsp rice flour
- 5 tbsp all purpose flour
- 1 tsp of Garlic salt
- 1 tsp white pepper powder
- 1 tsp dry chili powder
- a pinch of cumin powder
- 1 sprig of curry leaves chopped finely
- 500 gm White Prawns
- 2 tsp chili powder
- 1 tsp sugar
- 1/2 tbsp ginger -garlic paste
- Shell and deveined the prawns with tail intact. Marinate for 10 minutes with the rest of ingredients in list C.
- Meanwhile assemble all the ingredients in B list. Whisk together and keep aside.
- Separate the white egg from the yolk. Beat for few seconds and keep aside.
- After 10 minutes, heat the skillets with 5 tbsp of oil.
- Dip each the marinated prawn in a flour mixture, followed by egg mixture and then coconut powder.
- Shallow fry for 5 minutes each side or until golden brown. Alternatively you may use coconut oil for best flavor and fragrance.
- Serve hot with any sauce.
I prefer Thai chili sauce or tartar sauce as dipping sauce.