Hi readers, welcome back to Shinies Kitchen diary. First of all I would like to wish Happy Tamil Putthandu Valtukkal ! New year with new hopes and dreams. Wish and pray for blessed year ahead!
It has been a long time since I've updated my blog. Just would like to update from one of my collection.
Rendang mostly prepared traditionally prepared by Malays during special occasion such as Festive seasons or any grand celebration. The recipe for Rendang slightly different from one state to another state within Malaysia. Rendang Tok from Perak was most famous from all the recipes so far. Mainly Coconut milk, Ginger, Galangal, Shallots, Lemon Grass, Turmeric Leaves, Dry Chilli, Turmeric, Garlic, dry roasted coconut and sometimes bird eyes chillies were used. It requires great patience as it takes a long time to cook because the meat must be tenderly cooked in the coconut milk until all the liquids and spices fully absorbed. It should be dry gravy. Even though its highly cholesterol, but you cannot resist with a plate.
Last time I have posted Rendang with Chicken. Here another version of Rendang with mock chicken or soya base meat. Since Rendang very famous here in Malaysia, almost all the races will cook rendang at home. That's why this smart Spices Company came out with new product called Rendang mix Powder. For the first time I would like to try this recipe with Rendang spicy mix. The instructions behind showed very easy, but not sure the taste. Since spices like coriander, fennel, dry chilies are already included in the spice mix, we only need to add blended lemongrass, galangal, garlic and shallots.
I have noticed, even Rendang paste is sold in the market. Might try one day!
Since we are combining this dish with sambar and rice, so i make it more indianized for vegetarian day!
To be blended:
- Shallots - 10
- Galangal - 1 inch
- Ginger - 1 inch
- Garlic - 3
- Lemon grass - 2
- Coconut thick milk - 1 cups
- Coconut Milk thin - 2 cups
- Mock chicken - 1 pack (cut into 2 pieces)
- Potatoes - 2 cubed
- Dry Roasted Coconut - 2 tbsp (grated coconut need to dry roasted till brownish and blend to semi coarse powder)
- Turmeric leaf - 1/2 (Just tear into pieces)
- Lime leaves -2 (tear into pieces)
- Rendang Spices Mix - 2 tbsp
- Dry chillies - 5
- Fennel seeds - 1 tsp
- Cinnamon - 1
Have a try!
- Blend the ingredients that need to be blended.
- Heat oil in a heavy bottom vessel or wok.
- Add cinnamon, fennel seeds and dry chilies in the heated oil.
- Add the blended mixture. Saute till the raw smell goes.
- Add the spices powder. Mix together and saute for 2 minutes.
- Add the potatoes. Sprinkle some water. Let them cook for 5 minutes.
- Add the mock chicken or vegetarian chicken. Mix well with the spices.
- Add the thin coconut milk. Let it boil together with the chicken for few minutes. Then add the thick coconut milk.
- Let it cooked uncovered in a medium flame. Cook as long as the liquid fully absorbed and the oil oozes up. Add turmeric leaves and lime leaves. Mix together. Add salt to the taste.
- Finally add roasted coconut and mix well. Turn off the heat.
- It ready to be served with white rice.
Have a try!